Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting to know the product...

So last friday I was out on my longboard enjoying the nice beautiful weather and also seeing about trying a few new tricks. I was enjoying the ride quite immensely when I came to a spot that I very much enjoy because of the technical difficulty and the amount of speed it gives you. I was trying to execute a very sharp turn and also slide my wheels so i would look cool. I did not succeed... in fact I crashed and banged myself up a little. I was upset to say the least. I consider my self a very good longboarder and love speed and hairpin turns and just the thrill of it all.
A few hours later I was walking by the same spot and to my excitement I saw another person on a longboard rollin around the streets. I thought to myself "he isnt gonna try anything cool... no one is cool like me around this area." Then to my amazement I saw him go down the exact same spot I crashed in, doing a better trick than i was failing at, and all of it in front of some passing ladies! UGH! I was and still am very upset about it. It was like a massive slap in the so called skills I thought I had. 
This  experience has brought me two things though: a renewed desire to push my longboarding to new and exciting levels, and also a thought about what this product is really all about and how as a consumer I think I could be comvinced to buy this product. 
  Seeing is believing, and while I have seen the trick that I was outdone by on the internet and in other videos before I have never really seen it done in person. This moment had me thinking that if this one trick has me so worked up and so excited about my sport then how can I translate this to an advertisement?  I think one way would be to take this exact scenario and just film it. Show a kid trying and trying to do a hard trick on a standard shaped not very awesome board. Then when he has given up and feels defeated another person rolls up does a better trick and while they are doing it there is a shot of the bottom of the board where we see the company name, followed by the second rider riding away with a smile. I think giving people the fantasy that the board is what will make them a better rider, even though it's basically false, will get them looking at the board they ride and up and to the stores to buy new and "better" boards! Making the company money and furthering the sport as a whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment